In the next post of the series of Quick Tableau Tips & Tricks, I will show you how to use the URL action in a dashboard.
Your client wants to go to a webpage from the dashboard. Tableau offers many options, one of them is that when you can create a text hyperlink. How can you do that?
- On a new worksheet create a new calculated field for the text.
- Drag this field into the sheet and then use that on the dashboard.
- Now you can add in the URL action. Select the Dashboard menu- Action – URL
- Select the created text sheet and add the URL link. Choose a ‘Run action on’ option and test the link.
If you want to add a search hyperlink, follow this process:
I created a google search link that is embedded into the report.
- On the dashboard select the Dashboard Menu – Actions – Add Action – URL filter
- Type the text you want to see in the tooltips with the specific field from the list of fields on that chart. eg.<universities>
- Finally, drag a Web Page Object onto the dashboard, type the link. In this case, I used this https://www.google.com.
Hope you enjoyed reading this post.